Friday, January 29, 2016

My Love for Chelsea

         While there might not be much in common between myself and Chelsea Handler, I do love her. She has a persona that has people either liking or not with very few in between. I choose to do a post on her because of her new Netflix series/show Chelsea Does.
          To set the stage for those who don't know anything about the series considering it is new to Netlfix, there is a specific topic/theme to each episode that Chelsea focuses on in her own personal life and in general. I don't know when or why it occurred but I adore her and her humor. Ironically, I don't always agree with what she says or her language or even some of the content. It is more about how confident she is and honest about every aspect of her thoughts and actions. I bring this up because of a review that I saw of her new series/show on Variety's website. It brings up the superficial-ness of how she addresses each episodes topic. One in particular being her episode on racism. While it does seem like it would be odd coming from a wealthy white female, she doesn't project that in any way as being the purpose of her episode. A caveat or note to be aware of when watching or listening to her stand-up, remember who she is and how she does her humor. She isn't ashamed of how well off she is but why should she be. She isn't necessarily in the viewers face about it but it is apparent. Anyways, back to the review. I don't agree with the review and I didn't have any notions of what should and shouldn't be in the episodes. The reviewer Maureen Ryan might have had "oh I can't believe this is her approach" or "why isn't she saying this or what makes her think she knows about racism". I guess that can be a reviewers prerogative.
       All I want to say, in a long-winded sort of way, is that if you are to watch this Netflix original to take it as it comes. Honestly there was some parts of the marriage episode that made me uncomfortable and go to far for my viewing tastes. So for those who care, there you go. Also, there are no bleeps or filters. So swearing abounds.
        I love Chelsea Handler and the honest way she sees things. It amazed me the people she was able to set up meetings with. Not to spoil anything but she met with a representative from the Latin American, Muslim, NAACP, American Indian, Asian, and Jewish communities to address her humor about race. She is not shy at all.
        Take it for what you will. This is me and mine and what I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment